VDOT plans Route 1 meeting
© Virginia News GroupThe Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will host a “pardon our dust” meeting on April 27 regarding Route 1 widening between Annapolis Way and Mary’s Way in Woodbridge.
The public is invited to meet the project team to learn more about construction and traffic impacts from 6:30 – 8 p.m. at Freedom High School, 15201 Neabsco Mills Road, Woodbridge.
Construction is expected to begin next month on the $56.4 million widening project.Demolition of several vacant buildings along the corridor is also underway to allow for widening the road from four to six lanes.
The project includes the following:
* Enhanced access to the Woodbridge VRE kiss-and-ride facility;
* A new Route 1 bridge at Marumsco Creek;
* Improvements to Occoquan Road, including a median and turn lanes from U.S. 1 to south of Horner Road;
* Additional through and turn lanes on Route 1 and Occoquan Road to improve traffic operations;
* And a ten-foot shared-use path and six-foot sidewalk.
Fort Myer Construction Corporation is the prime contractor for the project.
Widening is expected to complete in fall 2019.Since February 2015, crews have been constructing a Ductbank to place utilities underground along Route 1.
That work is expected to be completed shortly.