Thu., Jul. 30
- It's been a long time coming since Adrian Zahand last ran the Prince William County Tennis Open or any of its predecessors.
The tournament ran from 1988 through 1999, pitting top talent throughout the mid-Atlantic region against each other.
Now the Montclair Tennis Club is preparing to host the event again in just over two weeks.
Thu., Jul. 30
- Imagine a scenario where you step in a bucket that won't come off your foot.
You fall down six stairs and finally kick off the bucket but then wedge the other foot in and fall down the next three stairs.
That's basically been the latter half of the month for the Potomac Nationals.
Wed., Jul. 29
- From Manassas to Florida, the Greater Manassas Baseball League 8U Blue and Gray all-stars are gaining quite a reputation nationally.
Two weeks ago, the GMBL team placed second at the Babe Ruth League Southeast Regional tournament in Alachua, Fla., qualifying the girls for the World Series.
Also set to take place in Alachua County, that tournament is due to run from July 31 through Aug. 5 in Newberry, Fla.
Wed., Jul. 29
- Is it possible the 2015 football season may peak as soon as it starts?
That's a distinct possibility next month when the top two Prince William teams from 2014 meet in a head-to-head clash.
Earlier this month, the Virginia High School League unveiled the fall schedule for every varsity football team in the state, from the Group 1A to 6A level.
Tue., Jul. 28
- Tiger Woods arrived (publicly, at least) in Gainesville on Tuesday to practice for this weekend's Quicken Loans National tournament at Robert Trent Jones Golf Club.
The last time the golf star played here was in 2005 during the President's Cup.
“It's a lot bigger golf course than I remember from '05,” he said on Tuesday.
Sat., Jul. 25
- Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club in Gainesville held its 2015 Red, White, and Blue Tournament on Saturday, July 11. The tournament was individual low net played from six holes each of red, white and blue tees. The winners in each flight are as follows:
Thu., Jul. 23
- On July 12, the Blue Ridge Titans 14U travel baseball team won its 100th game after taking first place in the Summer Shootout Tournament in Fredericksburg.
The Titans joined together four seasons ago and debuted with a 26-win season. The team then followed up with 27 and 29 wins the following two seasons respectively.
Wed., Jul. 22
- A group of 12-year-old boys from Gainesville spent last week in Cooperstown, N.Y. and it wasn't for vacation.
The VA Stars Blue travel baseball team was there on business and they got right down to it.
The team was there for a weeklong tournament with 103 other teams from across U.S. and Canada.
Tue., Jul. 21
- With so much Major League firepower in Woodbridge last week, Potomac Nationals fans can be excused for wondering why the team played so ice cold.
The P-Nats entered this week on a five-game losing streak, the worst skid of the 2015 campaign for the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Washington Nationals.
Yet fans were treated to rehabilitation stints by Washington Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth and infielder Anthony Rendon last week.
Mon., Jul. 20
- Word spread quickly about Washington Nationals great Jayson Werth's arrival in Woodbridge as 4,529 fans flocked through the gates July 16.
Another 5,608 did the same July 17 before the attendance hit a crescendo on July 18 during the bookend of a four-game home stand.