Tue., Jul. 28
- Tiger Woods arrived (publicly, at least) in Gainesville on Tuesday to practice for this weekend's Quicken Loans National tournament at Robert Trent Jones Golf Club.
The last time the golf star played here was in 2005 during the President's Cup.
“It's a lot bigger golf course than I remember from '05,” he said on Tuesday.
Sat., Jul. 25
- Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club in Gainesville held its 2015 Red, White, and Blue Tournament on Saturday, July 11. The tournament was individual low net played from six holes each of red, white and blue tees. The winners in each flight are as follows:
Thu., Jul. 23
- On July 12, the Blue Ridge Titans 14U travel baseball team won its 100th game after taking first place in the Summer Shootout Tournament in Fredericksburg.
The Titans joined together four seasons ago and debuted with a 26-win season. The team then followed up with 27 and 29 wins the following two seasons respectively.
Wed., Jul. 22
- A group of 12-year-old boys from Gainesville spent last week in Cooperstown, N.Y. and it wasn't for vacation.
The VA Stars Blue travel baseball team was there on business and they got right down to it.
The team was there for a weeklong tournament with 103 other teams from across U.S. and Canada.
Tue., Jul. 21
- With so much Major League firepower in Woodbridge last week, Potomac Nationals fans can be excused for wondering why the team played so ice cold.
The P-Nats entered this week on a five-game losing streak, the worst skid of the 2015 campaign for the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Washington Nationals.
Yet fans were treated to rehabilitation stints by Washington Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth and infielder Anthony Rendon last week.
Mon., Jul. 20
- Word spread quickly about Washington Nationals great Jayson Werth's arrival in Woodbridge as 4,529 fans flocked through the gates July 16.
Another 5,608 did the same July 17 before the attendance hit a crescendo on July 18 during the bookend of a four-game home stand.
Mon., Jul. 20
- When the longtime veterans of the Gainesville-Haymarket Baseball League 14-year-old all-star team lost the state title games both in 2011 and 2012, the watched their victorious opponents dogpile on top of each other.
On Sunday, the GHBL took that trophy themselves for the second year in a row and for the second year in a row, they skipped the dogpile, celebrating with high-fives, shouts and jumps.
Sat., Jul. 18
- Heritage Hunt Golf and Country Club's 2015 Club Championship golf tournament was played on June 19-20 at the golf club in Gainesville. The two-day event was an individual gross and net format and the winners in each flight are as follows:
Fri., Jul. 17
- The Quicken Loans National, hosted by the Tiger Woods Foundation, will be held at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Club beginning Tuesday, July 28 with the professional practice rounds.
The first round of the tournament begins Thursday, July 30; the final round will be on Sunday, Aug. 2.
Thu., Jul. 16
- It's a strange year when the eastern end of the county produces the most successful varsity lacrosse team in Prince William.
Forest Park's girls team actually won both the Conference 4 regular season and the region championships. That made the Bruins the only Prince William lacrosse team to capture a regional title this season. They lost to Oakton in the state semifinals.