Prince William News
Thu., Jan. 31 - Good morning Prince William … Project Mend A House has a special request for healthcare volunteers as well as others to help them with two upcoming fall risk screenings for seniors age 60 +. Interested nurses, PTs, OTs, ophthalmologists, pharmacists and those interested in admin work should call Terry at 703-999-3312. The events are scheduled for Saturday morning April 27, in Manassas and Friday May 3, in Dale City. It’s an easy way to be part of a super service to the senior community.
COLUMN: Call to Action
© Gainesville TimesGood morning Prince William … Project Mend A House has a special request for healthcare volunteers as well as others to help them with two upcoming fall risk screenings for seniors age 60 +.
Interested nurses, PTs, OTs, ophthalmologists, pharmacists and those interested in admin work should call Terry at 703-999-3312. The events are scheduled for Saturday morning April 27, in Manassas and Friday May 3, in Dale City. It’s an easy way to be part of a super service to the senior community.
* Mark your calendars for the Haymarket Regional Food Pantry Casino Night on Feb. 9 at the Stonewall Golf Club. Tickets are just $40 for all the fun including hors d’oeuvres, Chinese auction, prizes, raffles and cash bar. Come support this wonderful organization provide food to over 400 families each week. Please visit haymarketfoodpantry.org for more info and to purchase your tickets on line.
* Ronald Reagan Middle School is looking for volunteers to share their reading experiences with the kids. Please email Barbara at:email@example.com to learn more
* The House of mercy is the new distribution site for the SHARE program. This program offers all families the opportunity to purchase $45 worth of meats, vegetables and fruits for just $22. For instance the February value package includes 1 pound of sausage, 2 pounds of chicken breasts, ground turkey, all beef meatballs Quaker quick oats, white potatoes and 5 fresh produce items for just $20.
There are also other meat and seafood specials. Please call 703-659-1636 to learn more. All you do is turn in your order by Feb. 8 and pick up your items on Feb. 23.
* Special Olympics invites all very brave souls to the 2013 Tim’s Rivershore Polar Plunge to support all their wonderful sports and other activities. This event is March 2. You can simply put your toes in the water or certainly do the full jump in!
All plungers are required to raise $100 from your friends and colleagues but the more you raise the more fun gear you get. The top individual fundraiser will win two roundtrip tickets on JetBlue Airlines! Please register today and create your personal fundraising page in just a few easy steps. Please visit: firstgiving.com/polarplungeva/2013timsrivershorepolarplunge.
* Governor McDonnell cordially invites nominations for the 2013 Governor’s Volunteerism and Community Service Awards. This is a super way to share your volunteer’s accomplishments with the entire Commonwealth. The deadline for nominations is Feb. 11. Please visit:vaservice.org
* Also the Points of Light Foundation awards the Daily Points of Light Award to volunteers from across the country each weekday. If selected your nominee will join an esteemed group of volunteers and receive a certificate signed by President George H.W. Bush #41 honoring their achievement. Please visit:archive.pointsoflight.org/recognition.
* Please mark your calendars for May 6 to take advantage of the Digital Mammography Services sponsored by the RSVP Volunteer program. The Sentara Mobile van will be in Manassas. You don’t need a physician’s referral. Also care is provided to patients who are uninsured. Please call Coleen at 703-369-5292-207 to make an appointment.
* With winter weather upon us, remember to prepare for sleet, snow, and power outages as well as all types of emergencies. Please visit www.pwcgov.org/pwcan to sign-up for emergency alerts from Prince William County.
* If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at 703-369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at 703-369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with all the other many opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at 703-369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org.
From the bottom of my heart, thanks so much for all you do in our community.