Login | Register | Staff Directory | Print Advertising | Online Advertising | Subscribe | About Us
Welcome to Fauquier.com
News from Gainesville Times and Prince William Times
Advanced Search
Around Town | Business | Opinions | Politics | Public Safety | Sports

Prince William News

Battle of Kelly’s Ford remembered

A gentle wind near sunset on Saturday evening carried the sounds of Carpenters Battery, a Confederate artillery re-enactor unit, as they fired a 12-pound cannon in front of the arena at The Inn at Kelly's Ford.

That same wind rustled the hoop skirts of dozens of ladies and brushed the sabers of the Black Horse Cavalry as they rode across the field.
Guests then entered the inn for a dinner and period dances with music by the 2nd South Carolina String Band, a recreation of those same Civil War era camp bands.

On another St. Patrick's Day – March 17, 1863, 2,100 Union troops attacked Kelly's Ford and spent the day charging across the rain soaked fields of northeastern Culpeper County in the battle that killed Major John Pelham. At 24, Pelham died in Culpeper on the morning of March 18, 1863.
The Brandy Station Foundation Ball commemorated the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Kelly's Ford by raising over $2,000 in direct contributions. Those funds will be forwarded to the Civil War Trust for the preservation of Fleetwood Hill in Brandy Station.

Fleetwood Hill was the culminating site of the Battle of Brandy Station, the largest cavalry battle of the Civil War on June 9, 1863.
The Brandy Station Foundation has already preserved acreage at the base of Fleetwood Hill and at Kelly's Ford.
Geoge Wells from Madison County brought to life General Robert E. Lee. The entire scene could have been lifted from one of Mort Kunstler's paintings.

President of the Brandy Station Foundation Joe McKinney held a moment of silence for all those who lost their lives at the Battle of Kelly's Ford.
Secretary Peggy Misch is particularly grateful to all event supporters and attendees especially

The Willoughby Foundation and Linda and William Willougby, as well as patrons Mr. and Mrs. William Fendley and AeroVial Business.
For more information on the Brandy Station Foundation, their website is www.brandystationfoundation.com
More Local News

Holidays start early

Lights, noise and laser guns

COLUMN:Another Voice - A true medical home

The Bone brings barbecue to Manassas

Haymarket author explores the year 1844; Book signing is Nov. 23

Suspect wanted in connection with Keating Drive Murder

COLUMN:Virginia Afield -All choked up about croaker fishing

Express lanes to open next month

Scoreboard:Football - Playoffs

Scoreboard:Cross country

Help for holidays; Brown Foundation offers aid

New indoor shooting range opens

Prince William Guide


seal Nominate your favorite businesses and things to do in Prince William this winter!

Stay
Connected


Follow Us
on Twitter

News | Sports

Like Us
on Facebook

News & Sports

Subscribe
via RSS

News

Join Our
Email List

Sign up for
weekly updates