Culpeper Community Calendar
© Prince William TimesCulpeper Community Calendar
The Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted. Please include contact information. E-mail Ray Finefrock at email@example.com
Thursday, March 28
• St. Luke Lutheran Church will hold a Maundy Service of Holy Communion at 7 p.m. The service will conclude with the stripping of the altar as part of the Holy Week journey to the cross. All are welcome. The church is located at 1200 Old Rixeyville Road. For more information call 825-8358 or visit www.stlukesculpeper.org
• Culpeper Brain Injury support group, fourth Thursday of each month, 6 to 8 p.m. in the Culpeper County Library meeting room. Free. For people living with a brain injury. Info.: Ruth Wallace at: Ruthwallace@aol.com or 540-423-7274.
• A.G. Richardson Elementary School Spirit Night at Dominion Skating Center, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
• Culpeper Middle School will hold a meeting for STARS at the CMS Library from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• "Ann Vickers" In this film adaptation of Sinclair Lewis' novel, a modern young woman turns her life around by devoting herself to social work after being abandoned by her soldier sweetheart. Frustrated as a psychologist in a woman's prison, she falls in love with a politically progressive judge. Starring Irene Dunn, Bruce Cabot and Walter Huston. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Color, 89 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Maundy Thursday foot-washing service at Little Fork Episcopal Church in Rixeyville, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, March 29
• Mindfulness discussion group. Discussion on how to live a happier, more productive life. Culpeper County Library conference room each Friday, beginning at noon. Info.: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday Walk-in Storytime at 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, activities and more. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Little Fork Episcopal Church youth participate in children/youth Afternoon Walk With Jesus" in Yowell Meadow Park. The walk will include the Stations of the Cross written especially for young people.
• Good Friday service for all ages at Little Fork Episcopal Church, 7:30 p.m.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church will hold a service of Tenebrae (light and darkness) at 7 p.m. The story of the Passion of Christ will be interspersed with verses of hymns. All are welcome. The church is located at 1200 Old Rixeyville Road. For more information call 825-8358 or visit www.stlukesculpeper.org.
Saturday, March 30
• Easter "Eggstravanganza" from 10 a.m. to noon at Stevensburg Baptist Church, weather permitting. Open to all children through sixth grade. Features Easter egg hunts, moon bounce and light lunch. Info.: 399-1066.
• Easter egg hunt at Taylor Park on Main Street in Orange for children under age 6. Starts at 10 a.m. Sponsored by Orange Downtown Alliance and Sheetz. Info.: 672-2540.
Sunday, March 31
• Easter Services at Alliance Community Fellowship. 509 S. Main St., Scanlan street side, at 11:00 a.m. Sunday School begins at 10:00 a.m.
825-2484 for more information.
• Easter sunrise worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, beginning at 6:45 a.m. Regular worship from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Easter Sunday services at Little Fork Episcopal Church at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Services followed by an Easter egg hunt. Info.: 937-4306
• Eastern View High School band concert, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
• Culpeper County High School and Culpeper County Middle School festival band concert in the auditorium, 2 to 4 p.m.
Monday, April 1
• Spring break begins for Culpeper County Public School students and staff (through April 5).
• "Look Good and Feel Better," Culpeper Regional Hosptial staff conference room, beginning at 10 a.m. For cancer patients – learn how to care for your skin during treatment. Info.: Heather Decker at: 667-2315 or Heather.Decker@cancer.org.
• Summer camp applications for Holiday Lake Forestry Camp (ages 13-16) and youth Conservation Camp (grades nine to 12) are due. Available at: www.culpeperswcd.org.
Tuesday, April 2
• Culpeper Soil and Water Conservation District monthly board of directors meeting, 9:30 a.m. first Tuesday at 235 Warren St. in Orange; http://culpeper.vaswcd.org/; (540) 825-8591.
• Board of Supervisors, first Tuesday; 10 a.m., general county business, committee reports, appropriate closed sessions; 7 p.m., public forum, Planning Commission business, public hearings; County Administration Building, 302 North Main St., Culpeper; see Web page for meeting agendas; http://web.culpepercounty.gov/CountyGovernment/BoardofSupervisors.aspx; Administrative Office, (540) 727-3427.
• Windmore Pen-to-Paper Writers' Group, meets first Tuesday at the Culpeper Library. Aspiring writer? Want to hone your communication skills? Morning group 10 a.m. to noon, afternoon group at 5-7 p.m. New members welcome. More info.: Fran at 540-825-2890.
• Diabetes Support Group, Culpeper Regional Hospital board room, 501 Sunset Lane from 7 to 8 p.m. Free. Info.: 829-8867
• Bedtime Storytime is 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-547-3764.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• Information sessions on Walk to End Alzheimer's beginning at Powell Wellness Center at 9:30 a.m., noon or 5 p.m. Light snacks and beverages provided. RSVP by March 29 as to which session you will attend to: email@example.com
• Hospice of the Rapidan hosts free weekly Grief Support group from 5:30 to 7 each Tuesday through April 23. Group will address concerns of those who have experienced death of family member or loved one. Info.: 825-4840 or: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Free small business seminar with retail expert Marc Wilson: "Doing Business in a GAFA World (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon) frp,9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. in the second floor conference room of the Main Street Stellar One bank. Coffee, tea and refreshments provided by Main Street Deli Market Place. Registration required: Culpeper County Chamber of Commerce: 825-8628.
Wednesday, April 3
• Breastfeeding fundamentals at Culpeper Regional Hospital's Beck House, 550 Sunset Lane from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Taught by a board certified lactation consultation. Cost: $20. Pre-registration required at: culpeperhealth.org or Maureen Rogers at: 829-4116.
• Junior Chess Club, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Culpeper County Library meeting room; lessons available for beginners.
• Bereaved parent support group, Wednesday's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. One-on-one counseling with Jo Ballengee available at Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Non-denominational. Free. Info.: scsm.tv or 349-5814.
• AARP driver safety course at Fauquier Hospital Sycamore Room, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost: $12 members, $14 non-members. Register: 316-3588.