Login | Register | Staff Directory | Advertise | Subscribe | About Us
Welcome to Fauquier.com
Advanced Search

State Theatre marquee illuminates the night

Several hundred people gathered in front of the State Theatre tonight and yelled in unison “pull that switch” as a countdown reached zero and Greg and Liz Yates threw a switch to light the newly refurbished theatre marquee.

The bright lights came on and the crowd cheered enthusiastically.

Prior to the lighting,,theatre executive director Ed Bednarczyk told the crowd that they were standing in the same spot where the marquee was originally lighted nearly 75 years ago. Local resident Wuzzy Gilmore was at that event and there tonight as well.

“This will be a state-of-the-art performance arts center with about 85 percent live performances and the other 15 percent movies,” Bednarczyk said prior to the illumination. “We are partnering with our friends up on the hill, the Library of Congress, and with local schools to also offer workshops and mentoring as well as movies.”

The $9 million theatre renovation and expansion project has turned a rundown building into what will surely be a crown jewel of downtown Culpeper.




More Local News

Former Culpeper mayor found guilty of sexual battery

Blandy Experimental Farm - “Guided Walking Meditation”

22nd Annual Taste of The Mountains Mainstreet Festival in Madison, VA

Tri-County (Culpeper, Madison & Orange) - “Walk To End Alzheimer’s”

The Southern Cafe & Music Hall Presents - “Modern Medication with Astronomers & Co-Pilots”

The Southern Cafe & Music Hall Presents - “Skyward with John Anderson”

The Southern Cafe & Music Hall Presents - “New Boss with Borrowed Beams of Light & Elephant Child”

The Jefferson Theater Presents - “Nasty Presents: Back That Thing Up Dance Party”

17th Annual Culpeper Harvest Days Farm Tour

County of Culpeper, Parks & Recreation Presents - “Concert at Lenn Park”

State Theatre Presents - “Tab Benoit”

State Theatre Presents - “Walk to End Alzheimer’s - Kick Off Celebration”

seal Click here to vote for your favorite things to do in Culpeper this fall!

Stay
Connected


Follow Us
on Twitter

News | Sports

Like Us
on Facebook

News & Sports

Subscribe
via RSS

News | Sports

Join Our
Email List

Sign up for
weekly updates

Culpeper Guide