Culpeper Breaking News: Stove fire sends woman to hospital
© Culpeper TimesA 52-year-old woman was taken to the hospital following a stove fire at Belle Court Apartments about 12:40 p.m. today.
The woman lived in the building at 1205 Belle Ave. but was not a resident of the apartment where the fire was reported. The apartment’s resident was not taken to U.Va. Culpeper Hospital.
A building maintenance worker using a chemical fire extinguisher was able to extinguish the fire before volunteer firefighters from the Culpeper County Volunteer Fire Department arrived.
Fire Chief Kenny Mills said five engines and the tower truck responded. Firefighters were on scene for about an hour. Firemen using fans ventilated smoke from the building and the apartment.
The building remains habitable, said Fire Chief Kenny Mills.
Culpeper Master Police Officer Mike Grant was the first officer to arrive on scene and helped evacuate residents from the building. Officer Tim Sisk and Detective Lt. Andrew Terrill also assisted getting residents from the building.
Two officers as a precaution were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
Culpeper County paid paramedics responded along with an ambulance from the Culpeper County Rescue Squad.
The Brandy Station Volunteer Fire Department also responded to assist.
Wally Bunker is a freelance contributor with the Culpeper Times. You may reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org