Culpeper Currents: Understanding the town’s perimeters
© Culpeper TimesThe perimeters of the Town of Culpeper grew slowly over the years. The original 1759 plat included 40 lots intersected by Coleman and Davis Streets. The first addition came in 1821, taken from the estate of General Edward Stevens. Eight lots were added to the north end of town and four lots were added to the south end.
The following additions were made to the Town prior to 1900:
In 1859, property from Edward B. Hill, close to the depot area, was added with eight lots each containing a little over an acre. The small plat map with the deed showed the area bordered by the “public road to the Institute” and “Depot Street”. (The “Institute” was the Culpeper Military Institute which occupied the location on Old Brandy Road originally used by the second Mount Pony Baptist Church. The “public road to the Institute” may be a reference to Clay Street; “Depot Street” may have been an older name for Commerce Street. Thanks to George Bryson for help with deciphering the plat.)
More property from Edward B. Hill was added in 1869, 13 lots located in the vicinity of the Military Institute and reaching to Mountain Run.
In 1866, Fountain F. Henry’s South East Street property was deeded to the Town. According to the plat there were 14 lots. A note from Henry’s executor James W. Green stated, “I have surveyed and actually staked off 14 lots respectively numbered from one to 14 and four streets by metes and bounds according to the annexed plat which lots are designated as Henry’s addition to the Town of Fairfax, the said plat with this memorandum the clerk of the County Court of Culpeper will record in the book of deeds for convenient reference by all parties interested. Oct. 10, 1866.” (We are still interested and it is still convenient!)
In 1880, land from the estate of John Jameson was added to the west side of town. The area encompassed 194 acres total, including 45 acres “between Madison Road & Orange Road, and 24 ½ acres “between Fredericksburg Road & Orange Road”. The small rectangular lot numbered “22” was indicated simply “Cemetery”. This was in fact the original resting place of the Confederate soldiers now buried beneath the Confederate Monument at Fairview Cemetery. The Jameson addition, of course, became a highly coveted residential area along West Street and Blue Ridge Avenue.
Get Weekly Email News