Culpeper Community Calendar
© Culpeper TimesThe Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. Please include contact information and submit items by noon Friday two weeks in advance. E-mail Ray Finefrock at firstname.lastname@example.org
All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, Dec. 6
• Culpeper Quilt Guild meets, beginning at 6 p.m. at St. Stephen's. There will be a Christmas covered dish dinner. Info.: Marty Moon at: email@example.com
• "Murder's Row" Secret agent Matt Helm must recover a stolen helio-beam with the power to destroy the Earth. Starring Dean Martin, Ann-Margaret and Karl Malden. Color, 105 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Floyd T. Binns Middle School PTO meeting, 7 p.m.
• Sycamore Park Elementary School PTO meeting, 4 p.m.
• A.G. Richardson Elementary School holiday concert in the cafeteria, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 7
• Mindfulness discussion group. Discussion on how to live a happier, more productive life. Culpeper County Library conference room each Friday, beginning at noon. Info.: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday Walk-in Storytime at 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, activities and more. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• "Pillow Talk" A single career girl in New York City develops a feud with a playboy composer she's never met, but is obliged to share a telephone party line with. Starring Doris Day, Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. Color, 102 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Candlelight vigil, hosted by Rachelle Waldron Dec. 7 at Hillcrest Memory Gardens, 4610 Rixeyville Road, Jeffersonton, beginning at 5 p.m. Light refreshments. Info.: 717-9460 or 937-5251.
• Early dismissal for Culpeper County Public School students (elementary, 1 p.m.; secondary, 1:30 p.m.)
Saturday, Dec. 8
• Read to the Dogs, second Saturday, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Children share books with certified therapy dogs at the library. Parents fill out permission slips for children at the library. No registration necessary. First come, first served.
• Book It! For ages 11 and up. Come share your favorite books with others. Be ready to talk about two or three of your favorite books in a minute and a half. Meet new people. Snacks served.
• Parent Night Out at Powell Wellness Center Dec. 8 from 4 to 8 p.m. Drop off kids and enjoy a four-hour night out. Kids will play games and participate in planned activities. Dinner and snack provided. Cost: $26 for one child, $32 for two children, $36 for three children. Each additional child is $5. Open to non-members for $5 more per each fee. Registration is limited. Info.: 829-4741.
• "Fandango" Five college students in 1971 Texas go on a last road trip together as they face graduation, marriage and the draft for the Vietnam War. Madison County resident Marvin J. McIntyre, who plays spaced-out parachute school instructor Truman Sparks in the film, will be on hand after the screening for a Q & A and will introduce "Proof," the 16-minute student film he starred in that was the basis for "Fandango." Starring Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson and Sam Robards. Color, 91 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• From 1 to 4 p.m.. the Brandy Station Foundation is hosting a Holilday Open House at the Graffiti House, 19484 Brandy Road, Brandy Station. Civil War graffiti, holiday fare and a Victorian Santa Claus. Free. Gift shop will be open. Info.: brandystation.com
• First aid/CPR/AED (adult/infant/child) training by the American Heart Association at Fauquier Health Medical Office Building from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost: $85. Register: 316-3588.
• Jefferson Ruritan Club/Jeffersonton Community Center all-you-can-eat country breakfast from 8 to 11 a.m. at the Jeffersonton Community Center. 5073 Jeffersonton Road. Menu: eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, friend apples, biscuits and gravy, pastries, orange juice and coffee. Cost: $8 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 12 and children under age 6 are free. Carryout will be available. Proceeds go to scholarships, local public service organizations, charities and maintaining the center. More info.: 540-349-2310 or 540-347-2497.
• The Women's Ministry of Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., annual "Cookie Walk," form 9 a.m. to noon. Lots of varieties of cookies from which to choose. Fill a takeout container for $6 and a tin for $8. Info.: 825-1376
Sunday, Dec. 9
• Worship services at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., at 8 and 11 a.m. With Sunday school for all ages at 9:45 a.m. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. with Sunday school for all ages beginning at 9 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Worship services at Amissville United Methodist Church, 14760 Lee Highway, are at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m. Info.: amissvilleumc.com
• St. Luke Lutheran Church worship at 10 a.m. Mid-week Bible Study on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m.
• Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, nondenominational, 405 Sperryville Pike. Cll: 727-0041. E-mail: email@example.com. Service times: Sunday: 10:30 to12:30; Bible study Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church holds worship each Sunday at 10 a.m. At 9 a.m. there are Sunday School classes for all ages. Info.: 825-8358 0r 276-698-7653.
•Worship services at Mountain View Community Church are at 9:15 and 1a a.m. The church is located at 16088 Rogers Road, behind Brusters. Info.: www.mountainviewcc.net or 727-0297.
• St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Two Holy Communion services on Sunday at 8 a.m. (quiet and reflective) and 10:30 a.m. (a full service with coffee hour and fellowship following). Healing and Holy Communion service Wednesday at 10 a.m. followd by Bible study. Upcoming events include: Second Coat Sunday (Dec. 9), Christmas at Nick's Workshop (Dec. 15), Christmas concert (Dec. 16), Lessons and Carols (Dec. 23) and caroling to shut-ins (Dec. 23). Info.: www.ststephensculpeper.net
• Santa Claus visits Gray Ghost Vineyards, 14706 Lee Highway, Amissville, 1 to 4 p.m. Free. Every child receives a special gift from Santa. Cameras are welcome. Free. Info.: grayghostvineyards.com or 937-4869.
• Culpeper Middle and Culpeper High schools hold Christmas band concert at CCHS auditorium, 2 p.m.
• Eastern View High School band concert, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 10
• Culpeper County Friends of the Library annual meeting, beginning at 7 p.m . at the library. New officers will be elected and there will be a dedication of the Giving Tree. Light refreshments. Info.: 825-8691.
• Day of Prayer: Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S Main St Culpeper will host an Open Door morning of meditative prayer from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All are welcome to come and sit quietly with the Lord in His Sanctuary. For more info, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Culpeper County School Board regular meeting at the County Administration Building, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 11
• CAN jobs ministry program from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 309 N. East St. Some of the services available include: resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, networking skills and resume posting. The ministry is free and operated by volunteers. It is available the second and fourth Tuesday's of each month. More info.: Margie Benitez at 703-944-8450 or e-mail: email@example.com
• Santa Bedtime Storytime is 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-825-7555.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• Culpeper County High School PTO meeting in the library, 7 p.m.
• Pearl Sample Elementary School winter concert, 6:30 p.m.
• Sycamore Park Elementary School "Christmas at OK Corral," third grade program, 6:30 p.m.
• Sycamore Park Elementary School Bruster's Spirit Night at Sycamore Park.
Tuesday, Dec. 11
• Chronically ill support group. Food, fellowship and encouragement. From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Fauquier Hospital Bistro Restaurant, Warrenton. Non-denominational, fee. Sponsored by Spiritual Care Support Ministries, 76 W. Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Info.: scsm.tv or 349-5814.
Wednesday, Dec. 12
• Junior Chess Club, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Culpeper County Library meeting room; lessons available for beginners.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church Bible Study at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1200 Old Rixeyville Road. The group is studying seven practices of discipleship and worship as central to the Christian life. All welcome. Questions or info.: 825-8358 or www.stlukesculpeper.org
• Itsy Bitsy Baby Storytime at Culpeper County Library. First and third Thursdays. At 10:30 a.m. For babies birth to 2 years of age. Baby songs, nursery rhymes, finger plays, stretching exercises and short books will be shared. No registration necessary.
• Infant CPR and car seat safety Dec. 12 at Culpeper Regional Hospital Family Birth Center classroom from 7 to 9 p.m. A certified instructor will teach what to do when a baby or child stops breathing or is choking. This is a hands-on class, but is not a certification class. A certified installer will also cover Virginia law on car seat safety. Cost: $45. Registration required. Visit: www.culpeperhealth.org or call Maureen Rogers at: 829-4116.
• Yowell Elementary School choral concert, 7 to 8 p.m.
• Bereaved parent support group, Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. One-on-one counseling with Jo Ballengee available at Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Non-denominational. Free. Info.: scsm.tv or 349-5814.