Culpeper Community Calendar
© Culpeper TimesThe Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. Please include contact information and submit items by noon Friday two weeks in advance. E-mail Ray Finefrock at firstname.lastname@example.org
All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, Nov. 29
• Yowell Elementary School first grade spirit days at Ruby Tuesday beginning at 11 a.m. and continuing on Dec. 1.
• "For Your Eyes Only" Agent 007 is assigned to hunt for a lost British encryption device used to communicate launch codes to nuclear missiles in Polaris submarines and to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. Starring Roger Moore, Carole Bouquet and Topol. Color, 127 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Friday, Nov. 30
• Farmington Elementary School family movie night in the gym, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
• "La Femme Nikita" A young female convicted felon is recruited to work as a top secret spy/assassin for the French government. Starring Anne Parillaud and Jeanne Moreau. In French and Italian with English subtitles. Color, 118 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Reflexology for couples. Fauquier Health Wellness Center. From 6 to 8 p.m. Cost: $55. Info.: 216-2640
Saturday, Dec. 1
• Farmington Elementary School Day Spirit Day at Culpeper County Library. There will be a play and other entertainment. From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
• "The Living Daylights" Agent 007, assigned to aid in the defection of a KGB agent, must prevent an unknown sniper from killing him before he can reach the west. Starring Timothy Dalton and Maryam d'Abo. Color, 130 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations preferred, but not required: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Nothin' Fancy Bluegrass. Bull Run Unitarian Universalist Church, 9350 Main St., Manassas, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Tickets: $20. Info.: 703-732-1000
• Piedmont Symphony Orchestra presents "Swing in the Holidays" beginning at 7 p.m. at the Highland School, 597 Broadview Ave., Warrenton. There will also be a performace at 3 p.m. Dec. 2. Tickets are available at: www.piedmontsymphony.org or at the door. Info.: 270-3168.
Sunday, Dec. 2
• Christmas in Little Washington festival, parade and artisan market. Fun begins at 10 a.m. Parade at 1 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Rappahannock Hospitality & Visitors Association. Event information is available online at town.washington.va.us and at visitrappahannockva.com, or call 540-675-3153.
• Worship services at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., at 8 and 11 a.m. With Sunday school for all ages at 9:45 a.m. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. with Sunday school for all ages beginning at 9 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Worship services at Amissville United Methodist Church, 14760 Lee Highway, are at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m. Info.: amissvilleumc.com
• St. Luke Lutheran Church worship at 10 a.m. Mid-week Bible Study on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m.
• Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, nondenominational, 405 Sperryville Pike. Cll: 727-0041. E-mail: email@example.com. Service times: Sunday: 10:30 to12:30; Bible study Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church holds worship each Sunday at 10 a.m. At 9 a.m. there are Sunday School classes for all ages. Info.: 825-8358 0r 276-698-7653.
• Worship services at Mountain View Community Church are at 9:15 and 1a a.m. The church is located at 16088 Rogers Road, behind Brusters. Info.: www.mountainviewcc.net or 727-0297.
• Advent celebration begins at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Two Holy Communion services on Sunday at 8 a.m. (quiet and reflective) and 10:30 a.m. (a full service with coffee hour and fellowship following). Healing and Holy Communion service Wednesday at 10 a.m. followd by Bible study. Upcoming events include: SecondCoat Sunday (Dec. 9), Christmas at Nick's Workshop (Dec. 15), Christmas concert (Dec. 16), Lessons and Carols (Dec. 23) and caroling to shut-ins (Dec. 23). Info.: www.ststephensculpeper.net
Monday, Dec. 3
• Yowell Elementary School Home School Connection meeting in the art room from 6 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 4
• Culpeper Soil and Water Conservation District monthly board of directors meeting, 9:30 a.m. first Tuesday at 235 Warren St. in Orange; http://culpeper.vaswcd.org/; (540) 825-8591.
• Board of Supervisors, first Tuesday; 10 a.m., general county business, committee reports, appropriate closed sessions; 7 p.m., public forum, Planning Commission business, public hearings; County Administration Building, 302 North Main St., Culpeper; see Web page for meeting agendas; http://web.culpepercounty.gov/CountyGovernment/BoardofSupervisors.aspx; Administrative Office, (540) 727-3427.
• Windmore Pen-to-Paper Writers' Group, meets first Tuesday at the Culpeper Library. Aspiring writer? Want to hone your communication skills? Morning group 10 a.m. to noon, afternoon group at 5-7 p.m. New members welcome. More info.: Fran at 540-825-2890.
• Bedtime Storytime is 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-825-7555.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• Diabetes support group. Culpeper Regional Hospital board room from 7 to 8 p.m. Free. Info.: 829-8867
• Breastfeeding fundamentals at Culpeper Regional Hospital's Beck House, 550 Sunset Lane from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Taught by a board certified lactation consultation. Cost: $20. Pre-registration required at: culpeperhealth.org or Maureen Rogers at: 829-4116.
Wednesday, Dec. 5
• Junior Chess Club, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Culpeper County Library meeting room; lessons available for beginners.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church Bible Study at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 1200 Old Rixeyville Road. The group is studying seven practices of discipleship and worship as central to the Christian life. All welcome. Questions or info.: 825-8358 or www.stlukesculpeper.org
• Itsy Bitsy Baby Storytime at Culpeper County Library. First and third Thursdays. At 10:30 a.m. For babies birth to 2 years of age. Baby songs, nursery rhymes, finger plays, stretching exercises and short books will be shared. No registration necessary.
• Lights for Life ceremony. Fauquier Hospital Sycamore Room from 6 to 8 p.m. Info.: 316-3588