Culpeper Community Calendar
© Culpeper TimesThe Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. Please include contact information and submit items by noon Friday two weeks in advance. E-mail Ray Finefrock at email@example.com
All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, Feb. 7
• Itsy Bitsy Baby Storytime at Culpeper County Library. First and third Thursdays. At 10:30 a.m. For babies birth to 2 years of age. Baby songs, nursery rhymes, finger plays, stretching exercises and short books will be shared. No registration necessary.
• Community prayer, 12 to 12:30 p.m. Join to pray for requests that have been given to the Spiritual Care Support Ministry center. If you have an have a need, there is an opportunity during this time for us to pray for you. Non-denominational, free. Held at Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 W. Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Info.: scsm.tv or: 349-5814.
• Coffee and Conversation, every Thursday from 10 a.m. to noon. For those who are discouraged from illness, bereavement, caregiving or with a loved one deployed in the military. Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Non-denominational, free. Info.: scsm.tv or: 349-5814.
• Emerald Hill Elementary School PTO meeting from 3:45 to 4:45 p.m.
• Floyd T. Binns Middle School PTO meeting from 2 to 3 p.m.
• "The Piano Teacher" A disturbing study of a middle-aged musician's psyche and her personal and professional relationships. Pschosexual drama. Rated "R". In French and German with English subtitles. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Color, 131 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Breastfeeding fundamentals at Culpeper Regional Hospital's Beck House, 550 Sunset Lane from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Taught by a board certified lactation consultation. Cost: $20. Pre-registration required at: culpeperhealth.org or Maureen Rogers at: 829-4116.
• Teen event: Attend this interactive resilence workshop at Culpeper County Library and find out how to cope when life gets you down. Presenter is Alan Rasmussen, prevention coordinator for Rappahannock Community Services. Sign up in advance. From 6 to 8 p.m.. Info.: 825-8691.
Friday, Feb. 8
• Mindfulness discusion group. Discussion on how to live a happier, more productive life. Culpeper County Library conference room each Friday, beginning at noon. Info.: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday Walk-in Storytime at 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, activities and more. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• "Star Trek: First Contact" The USS Enterprise must travel back in time to fight an alien race set to take over humanity. Directed by Johathan Frakes. Starring Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Alfre Woodward and LeVar Burton. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Color, 111 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Saturday, Feb. 9
* Jefferson Ruritan and Community Center Breakfast. The Jefferson Ruritan Club together with the Jeffersonton Community Center will hold its monthly all-you-can-eat Country Breakfast from 8-11 a.m. at the Jeffersonton Community Center, 5073 Jeffersonton Road in Jeffersonton (Rts. 802 and 621 off Rt.229). The menu will include eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, fried apples, biscuits and gravy, pastries, orange juice and coffee. Cost for adults is $8, $5 for children 6-12 and under 6 is free. Carry-out will be available. All proceeds go to scholarships, local public service organizations and charities and maintaining the Community Center. Breakfasts will be held each month on the second Saturday. All are welcome. For more information, call 349-2310 or 347-2497.
• "Beau Geste" Michael "Beau" Geste leaves England in disgrace and joins the infamous French Foreign Legion. Silent. Live musical accompaniment by Andrfew Simpson. Stars Ronald Colman, Noah Berry and William Powell. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Black and white, 101 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Parent Night Out at Powell Wellness Center from 4 to 8 p.m. Drop off kids and enjoy a four-hour night out. Kids will play games and participate in planned activities. Dinner and snack provided. Cost: $28 for one child, $34 for two children, $38 for three children. Each additional child is $7. Open to non-members for $5 more per each fee. A refundable cash deposit is due at dropoff and refunded if chidren are picked up by 8 p.m. Registration is limited. Info.: 829-4741.
• The Culpeper Minute Men Chapter NSDAR will meet beginning at 10 a.m. at First Christian Church on Ira Hoffman Road in Culpeper. The program will be on presidents and valentines. Members are reminded to bring cancelled stamps and labels and box tops for the school programs.
• For teens: Celebrate "Anti-Valentine's Day" from 2 to 4 p.m. at Culpeper County Library. Craft, eat, act, play,write while rejecting consumerism and mushy romance. Wear dark colors to block out the pink and red. Sign up in advance. Info.: 825-8691
• Safe Sitter babysitter training. Fauquier Hospital Sycamore Room. From 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost: $60. Register: 316-3588
Sunday, Feb. 10
• Worship services at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., at 8 and 11 a.m. With Sunday school for all ages at 9:45 a.m. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. with Sunday school for all ages beginning at 9 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Worship services at Amissville United Methodist Church, 14760 Lee Highway, are at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m. Info.: amissvilleumc.com
• Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, nondenominational, 405 Sperryville Pike. Cll: 727-0041. E-mail: email@example.com. Service times: Sunday: 10:30 to12:30; Bible study Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church offers Sunday School for adults, youth and children at 9 a.m. and worship at 10 a.m. Bible study is Thursday at noon. This Sunday is Scout Sunday and scouts will be recognized and participate. The church is located at 1200 Old Rixeyville Road. Info.: 825-8358 or visit: www.stlukesculpeper.org
• Worship services at Mountain View Community Church are at 9:15 and 11 a.m. The church is located at 16088 Rogers Road, behind Brusters. Info.: www.mountainviewcc.net or 727-0297.
• Worship at Bethlehem Christian Fellowship, 371 Lakeside Dr. (next to Full Circle Thrift Shop) at 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Info.: 829-9927 or: www.bcf4u.org
Monday, Feb. 11
•Culpeper County School Board regular meeting to include a public hearing on the FY 2014 budget at the Culpeper County Administration Office, 301 N. Main St, beginning at 7 p.m.
• Reformation Lutheran Church "Open Door Day of Prayer" at the church, 509 S. Main St. from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All are welcome to visit for quiet, meditative time with the Lord. Prayer teams will be available. Info.: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tueday, Feb. 12
• Bedtime Storytime is 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-825-7555.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• Culpeper County High School PTO meeting in the library.
• Introduction to Finding Funders likve webinar at Culpeper County Library from 3 to 4 p.m. Free. Info.: 825-8691.
• "Roxanne" Steve Martin scripted and stars in this updated version of Cyrano de Bergerac, with the large nosed protagonist as the fearless, quick-witted fire chief in a scenic resort town in the Pacific Northwest. His love interest Roxanne is a beautiful astroner renting a house in town for the summer. Starring Martin, Daryl Hannah and Shelly Duvall. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Color, 107 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Wednesday, Feb. 13
* Christian Womens Club hosts Valentine Eve Brunch at Peppers Best Western of Culpeper today at 9:30 a.m. Cost is $9.50. For reservations, phone Thelma at 540-937-4069. If schools are closed or delayed, the event is cancelled.
• Junior Chess Club, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Culpeper County Library meeting room; lessons available for beginners.
• Bereaved parent support group, Wednesday's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. One-on-one counseling with Jo Ballengee available at Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Non-denominational. Free. Info.: scsm.tv or 349-5814.
• Eastern View High School PTO meeting in the main conference room from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• Infant CPR and car seat safety Dec. 12 at Culpeper Regional Hospital Family Birth Center classroom from 7 to 9 p.m. A certified instructor will teach what to do when a baby or child stops breathing or is choking. This is a hands-on class, but is not a certification class. A certified installer will also cover Virginia law on car seat safety. Cost: $45. Registration required. Visit: www.culpeperhealth.org or call Maureen Rogers at: 829-4116.
• "I Love You Again" A lackluster, but solid citizen recovers from amnesia and discovers that he has forgotten a past existence as a con artist ... and is in love with his soon-to-be-ex wife. Starring Willilam Powell and Myrna Loy. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Black and white, 99 minutes. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Get Weekly Email News