Culpeper community calendar
© Culpeper TimesCulpeper Community Calendar
The Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. Please include contact information and submit items by noon Friday two weeks in advance. E-mail Ray Finefrock at firstname.lastname@example.org All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, Jan. 10
• Fairfax Masonic Lodge No. 43 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, chartered Nov. 17, 1794 meets; 7:30 p.m. second Thursday; Masonic Temple, 209 East Davis St., Culpeper; 825-8535.
• Emerald Hill Elementary School PTO meeting from 3:45 to 4:45 p.m.
• Pearl Sample Elementary School PTO meeting from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the library.
• "Sons of the Desert" When Stan and Ollie trick their wives into thinking they a taking a medicinal cruise while they're actually going to a lodge convention, the wives discover the truth and teach the boys a lesson. Starring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Black and white, 68 minutes. Also on the program: "The Kidnapper's Foil" For 40 years Melton Barker traveled throughout the United States filming local children acting, singing and dancing in two-reel narrative films. Enlisting local movie theaters and newspapers to sponsor and promote the productions. Barker cast local children to act out the story. Black and white, 22 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Medicare and Medicaid benefits counseling at the Fauquier Hospital Chestnut Room from 1 to 3 p.m. Free. Info.: 316-3588.
Friday, Jan. 11
• Mindfulness discusion group. Discussion on how to live a happier, more productive life. Culpeper County Library conference room each Friday, beginning at noon. Facilitated by Teri Zweig of the Charolottesville Center for Inner Peace. Info.: email@example.com
• Friday Walk-in Storytime at 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, activities and more. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• "Dirty Harry" Rogue police officer Harry Callahan is assigned to track down the self-named Scorpio Killer. Starring Clint Eastwood. Color, 102 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• "Your Childbirth Experience" at Fauquier Hospital Family Birth Center from 6 to 9 p.m. today and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Cost: $120. Info: 316-3588.
Saturday, Jan. 12
• "3:10 to Yuma" (1957 version) Small-time rancher Dan Evans is persuaded to smuggle a hunted outlaw leader to the nearest town with a railway station to await the train to the court at Yuma. Starring Glenn Ford and Van Heflin. Black and white, 92 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 2 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Jefferson Ruritan Club/Jeffersonton Community Center all-you-can-eat country breakfast from 8 to 11 a.m. at the Jeffersonton Community Center. 5073 Jeffersonton Road. Menu: eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, friend apples, biscuits and gravy, pastries, orange juice and coffee. Cost: $8 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 12 and children under age 6 are free. Carryout will be available. Proceeds go to scholarships, local public service organizations, charities and maintaining the center. More info.: 540-349-2310 or 540-347-2497.
• Read to the dogs every second Saturday at Culpeper County Library from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The Welcome Wager Therapy Dogs are avaialbe for fun-filled reading time. Children are invited to choose a book to share with a dog specially trained to listen. All ages welcome. No registration needed.
• Parent Night Out at Powell Wellness Center from 4 to 8 p.m. Drop off kids and enjoy a four-hour night out. Kids will play games and participate in planned activities. Dinner and snack provided. Cost: $28 for one child, $34 for two children, $38 for three children. Each additional child is $7. Open to non-members for $5 more per each fee. Registration is limited. Info.: 829-4741.
• Safe Sitter Babysitter Training at Fauquier Hospital Sycamore Room from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost: $60. Register: 316-3588.
• The Culpeper Minute Men Chapter, NSDAR, meets beginning at 10 a.m. at the First Christian Church on Ira Hoffman Road. All committee chairmen should have reports ready to present to the chapter. Come and join in activities for 2013.
Sunday, Jan. 13
• Worship services at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., at 8 and 11 a.m. With Sunday school for all ages at 9:45 a.m. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. with Sunday school for all ages beginning at 9 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Worship services at Amissville United Methodist Church, 14760 Lee Highway, are at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m. Info.: amissvilleumc.com
• St. Luke Lutheran Church worship at 10 a.m. Mid-week Bible Study on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m.
• Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, nondenominational, 405 Sperryville Pike. Cll: 727-0041. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Service times: Sunday: 10:30 to12:30; Bible study Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• St. Luke Lutheran Church holds worship each Sunday at 10 a.m. At 9 a.m. there are Sunday School classes for all ages. Info.: 825-8358 or 276-698-7653 or visit: www.stlukesculpeper.org.
• Worship services at Mountain View Community Church are at 9:15 and 11 a.m. The church is located at 16088 Rogers Road, behind Brusters. Current sermon series: "What Does it Mean to be Great?Info.: www.mountainviewcc.net or 727-0297.
• Spiritual Care Support Ministry, 76 W. Shirley Ave., Warrenton. "Back to the hymns to find home, 3 to 4:30 p.m. Fellowshipping and singing hymns led by Lee Catherine Clayton. Everyone invitged, including teens. Free, donations welcome. Info.: www.scsm.tv or: 349-5814.
• Worship at Bethlehem Christian Fellowship, 371 Lakeside Dr. (next to Full Circle Thrift Shop) at 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Info.: 829-9927 or: www.bcf4u.org
Monday, Jan. 14
• Farmington Elementary School Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night from 5 to 8 p.m.
• Culpeper County School Board "Talk about Budget" time at the county administration office, 302 N. Main St., beginning at 6 p.m. followed by regular board meeting at 7 p.m.
• Culpeper County High School Blue Devil Backers meeting at the school library from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., will hold its monthly morning of meditative prayer from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All are welcome to stop by the church building for quiet time with the Lord. Info.: email@example.com
Tuesday, Jan. 15
• Bedtime Storytime is 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-825-7555.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• "Born Yesterday" A newspaper reporter takes on the task of educating a crooked businessman's girlfriend in this satire on corruption in Washington. Starring Judy Holliday and William Holden. Black and white, 103 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 2 p.m. Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Reservations are recommended: 827-1079, ext. 7994 or (202) 707-994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• "Health Matters" at Powell Wellness Center conference room, 1105 Golf Drive from 4 to 5 p.m. Led by Cassandra Hanna. Tips on how to fuel your workout. Free and open to PWC members and non-members. Preregistration required at: 828-4749.
• Proposal Writing Basics at Culpeper County Library. Learn the key components of writing a proposal to a foundation. Live webinar from 2 to 3 p.m. Info.: 825-8691.
• Will Vehrs of the Virginia Department of Business Assistance will conduct no-cost consulations at the Small Business Development Center office for those who wish to do business with the Commonwealth of Virginia. Info.: David C. Reardon at: 727-0638 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Literary Council chairman Donna Yowell speaks at the Madison County Republican Women's 13th annual Chili Festival. Madison County High School senior Dru Kelliher will also present his D.A.R. Paper. The meeting will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Madison Presbyterian Church, 1236 Fishback Road. Info.: 923-4300 or 547-2156.
Wednesday, Jan. 16
• Junior Chess Club, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Culpeper County Library meeting room; lessons available for beginners.
• Bereaved parent support group, Wednesday's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. One-on-one counseling with Jo Ballengee available at Spiritual Care Support Ministry Center, 76 Shirley Ave., Warrenton. Non-denominational. Free. Info.: scsm.tv or 349-5814.
• Early dismissal for Culpeper County Public School students (elementary at 1 p.m., secondary at 1:30 p.m.) and exam days.
• Amateur astronomer Myron Wasiuta at Culpeper County Library, from 6 to 8 p.m.. Learn how to observe the moon and other features in the night sky by looking through his telescope. Info.: 825-8691.
• Brenda Curlee offers job coaching atg Culpeper County Library from 1 to 4 p.m. Pre-register at the library for a one-hour appointment. Free and personal. Curlee is a former couonselor with the Fairfax County Department of Family Services. Info.: 825-8691.