Culpeper Community Calendar for week beginning Nov. 1
© Culpeper TimesThe Culpeper Community Calendar lists events sponsored by non-profit groups. Please include contact information and submit items by noon Friday two weeks in advance. E-mail Ray Finefrock at firstname.lastname@example.org Fr more calendar go to: CulpeperTimes.com. All area codes are 540 unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, Nov. 1
• "Gabriel Over the White House" A do-nothing political hack is elected president during the depths of the Great Depression. After a near-fatal accident, he is mysteriously changed into a take-charge dynamo, determined to eliminate racketeers and find world peace. Starring Walter Huston. Black and White, 86 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Reservations are encouraged. Call: 827-1079 ext. 79994 or 202-707-9994.
• Culpeper Quilt Guild meets beginning at 7 p.m. in the Gathering Room at St. Stephen's Church. All are welcome. Info.: Marty Moon: 825-4740
• Car control clinic for new drivers at Fauquier Hospital Sycamore Room, 7 p.m. Behind the wheel session on either Nov. 3 or Nov. 4. Cost: $179. Register: 800-862-3277 or: www.carcontrol.com
• Sycamore Park Elementary School PTO meeting, 4 p.m.
• Emerald Hill Elementary School PTO meeting, 4 p.m.
• Floyd T. Binns Middle School PTO meeting, 7 to 8 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 2
• Mindfulness discusion group. Discussion on how to live a happier, more productive life. Culpeper County Library conference room each Friday, beginning at noon. Info.: email@example.com
• Friday Walk-in Storytime at 10:30 a.m. Stories, songs, activities and more. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Medicare infromation session at The Villa at Suffield Meadows, 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• "The Best Man" The two front runners for their party's presidential nomination, one principled and the other ruthless, vie for the ex-President's endorsement. Gore Vidal's dramatic look behind the scenes of political conventions. Starring Henry Fonda, Cliff Robertson and Ann Southern. Black and White, 102 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3
• Culpeper Farmers Market, sponsored by Culpeper Renaissance, Inc. open from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the East Davis and Commerce streets parking lot. More than 30 participants. Locally grown fruit, vegetables, herbs, mushrooms and flowers as well as farm fress eggs, baked good and locally raised beef, pork, lamb and poultry. Market runs through Nov. 17. Info.: 825-4416 or: www.culpeperdownton.com
• Culpeper Animal Shelter rabies clinic for Culpeper residents only from 1 to 2 p.m. at the shelter, 10144 James Monroe Highway. Shots are $11 (cash or check only) and are given by Amberwood Veterinary Hospital.
• Eastern View High School Hunt for a Cure 5K, 8 to 9 a.m.
• "The American President" A widowed president woos an attractive lobbyist, oblivious to the political impact the relationship will have during an election year. Directed by Rob Reiner. Starring Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen and Michael J. Fox. Color, 114 minutes. Free at the Library of Congress Packard Campus Theatre, 19053 Mt. Pony Road, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
• The Montpelier Hunt Races 78th running. James Madison's Montpelier in Orange. Details: 661-0196 or www.montpelierraces.org
Sunday, Nov. 4
• Worship services at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St., at 8 and 11 a.m. With Sunday school for all ages at 9:45 a.m. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Worship service at Providence Bible Church, 17211 Greens Corner Road, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. with Sunday school for all ages beginning at 9 a.m. Info.: 825-4715 or visit: providencebible.org
• Worship services at Amissville United Methodist Church, 14760 Lee Highway, are at 9 and 11 a.m. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m. Info.: amissvilleumc.com
• St. Luke Lutheran Church worship at 10 a.m. Mid-week Bible Study on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m.
• Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, nondenominational, 405 Sperryville Pike. Cll: 727-0041. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Service times: Sunday: 10:30 to12:30; Bible study Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m.
• Little Fork Episcopal Church, Rixeyville, annual Congregational Service and Church Family Meeting, beginning at 9 a.m. in the sanctuary. The meeting and worship service replace regualr services. There will also be a potluck in the church Parish Hall. Info.: 937-4306, e-mail: email@example.com or visit: www.littleforkchurch.net
Monday, Nov. 5
• No school for Culpeper County Public School students due to parent conferences.
• Two hundred free flu shots will be given out to Culpeper residents from age 3 and up in the auditorium of Eastern View High Schoolo from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Smoking Cessation Class at Culpeper Regional Hospital Medical Staff Conference Room today and Nov. 5, 12,19, 26 and Dec. 3 and 10 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Cost: $40. Registgration required at: 829-5008
Tuesday, Nov. 6
• Culpeper Soil and Water Conservation District monthly board of directors meeting, 9:30 a.m. first Tuesday at 235 Warren St. in Orange; http://culpeper.vaswcd.org/; (540) 825-8591.
• Board of Supervisors, first Tuesday; 10 a.m., general county business, committee reports, appropriate closed sessions; 7 p.m., public forum, Planning Commission business, public hearings; County Administration Building, 302 North Main St., Culpeper; see Web page for meeting agendas; http://web.culpepercounty.gov/CountyGovernment/BoardofSupervisors.aspx; Administrative Office, (540) 727-3427.
• Windmore Pen-to-Paper Writers' Group, meets first Tuesday at the Culpeper Library. Aspiring writer? Want to hone your communication skills? Morning group 10 a.m. to noon, afternoon group at 5-7 p.m. New members welcome. More info.: Fran at 540-825-2890.
• Bedtime Storytime is 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Family-oriented programs feature stories, rhymes, songs and activities. Children are encouraged to attend in their pajamas and to bring a favorite stuffed animal. No registration necessary. For children and their caregivers.
• Reva Volunteer Fire and Rescue has bingo every Tuesday at 18230 Birmington Road, Culpeper, in a smoke-free hall. Doors open at 5 p.m. Dinner sales start at 5:30 p.m. Early bird starts at 6:30 p.m., followed by regular bingo at 7 p.m. Info: 540-825-7555.
• Senior worship at 1 p.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church, 509 S. Main St. Holy Communion is celebrated at all worship services. Info.: 825-1376
• Pre-School Storytime (ages 3 to 5) at 10:30 a.m. and toddler storytime (ages 2 to 3) at 10:30 or 11:15 a.m. at Culpeper County Library. Stories, songs, finger plays, coloring and activities.
• No school for Culpeper County Public School students due to Election Day.
• Diabetes Support Group, Culpeper Regional Hospital Board Room from 7 to 8 p.m. Free. Registation not required. Info.: 829-8867
Get Weekly Email News